Petrol smell

To: "'spitfires@autox.team.net'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Petrol smell
From: Rachel Dixon <rachel.dixon@tate.org.uk>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2001 13:54:17 +0100
Dear All,

So far so good with my new acquisition, the Wedgewood Blue Mk2 Spitfire.
However, when I'm driving in heavy traffic (central London), and doing a lot
of low gear changes, the increasing smell of petrol gets quite overwhelming!
I've checked out the fuel tank/boot, no leaks there. Checked out the fuel
pipe, whilst engine running/not running, no leaks there, and just can't find
an obvious leak . I know on old cars the fuel pipe is more exposed and
therefore more likely to give off a slight smell, but after an hour in
traffic, my skin is almost blue from the fumes!

Does anyone have any idea what this may be? Any advice would be great
(remember, I have a few manuals and limited knowledge of the inner workings,
but learning quickly).

Many thanks

Rachel
'65 Spitfire