re: Parts cars

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: re: Parts cars
From: "Greg Rowe" <growe58@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2001 17:45:44 -0400
I agree ... to a point.  It seems to me that the internet,
especially e-bay, has made parts selling profitable enough
that many cars that might have otherwise been restorations,
even if not for many years, are being dismantled and sold
off piece by piece for the quick buck.  It used to be more of
a network of true believers, now there are more profiteers.
No finger pointing intended, but I think it's a shame.

It _is_ a delicate balance because we do _need_ a source of parts,
but once that car's in pieces, it's gone forever.  No complete
spitfire, no matter how worn, is unrestorable.  Yes, the restoration
will probably need used parts, but I'd rather see them in the
hands of concerned and dedicated enthusiasts.

My .02.

Greg Rowe