Tips on replacing manifold gasket

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Tips on replacing manifold gasket
From: Kevin Rhodes <krhodes1@maine.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2001 13:12:07 -0400
Any tips from the group? I have an exhaust leak, and I am swapping the
intake manifold for a better one. Should I use some sort of sealant on the
gasket? I have a 4-1 header and a dual SU intake manifold. I ordered what
is supposed to be a good quality gasket through NAPA, I have blown out two
Moss gaskets in short order. I am hoping it is better than the Moss item -
if nothing else it cost a whole lot more... ;-) How tight should the nuts
be? Likely not possible to get a torque wrench on them though. This is on a
'69 1296.

Thanks!

Kevin Rhodes
Westbrook, Maine