Re: Repainting a 1500

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Repainting a 1500
From: "Tom O'Malley" <tomomalley@meganet.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2001 21:50:04 -0400
On Mon, 8 Oct 2001 17:29:03 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

>I was just wondering if one could get the original
>paint for a spit 1500 anywhere.

Sure...almost any paint jobber can mix it while you wait.
Check the commission plate for the paint code.

> Was going to repaint red but considering original orange.

He he...I just traded Pimento red <somewhat orange> for Ferrari red
<arrest me red!>

> I wonder is enamel better than clear coat base coat?

Acrylic enamel was probably original.  Most repainters today will
prefer not to use it because it can't be buffed as soon as more modern
paints.  It has the advantage of being inexpensive.  Fairly durable.
Not a good choice for metallics.

Single stage urethane will look pretty close to enamel but can be cut
and buffed in just days.  Very durable.  Not a good choice for
metallics.  An excellent choice for a solid color though.  Like solid
color enamel, the solid pigment protects the paint better than the
clears do.  And you get that satisfying "colored towel" when you
polish your car....just like God intended. <grin>

Base/clear will give you that "wet" look.
Repainters like it because they only need to shoot the color once
and then can re-work the clear if any mistakes should happen.
Very durable and provides a much deeper gloss than the other choices.
Most new cars today are done in base/clear and they hold up quite
well.  The failure mode for clear can get ugly though.

Lacquer is an excellent choice for a DIY paint job.  No paint booth is
required nor is supplied breathing equipment.  Properly buffed the
finish is gorgeous.  But it's not particularly durable and most
repainters are not permitted to use it because of VOC laws.
Had I known it would remain available to the amateur for this long I
probably would have used it myself.

Cheers!
Tom O'Malley