Experience with thick coat of Bondo?

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Experience with thick coat of Bondo?
From: "Mike Ross" <MIKEROSS@Prodigy.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 15:40:20 -0400
I was replacing the floor panel on my Mk1 Spitfire when I noticed that
that the rocker panel and rear wing were over contoured indicating a
surface filler was used.  I had to remove an inner side panel and
noticed the rocker panel was rusty inside and I could see where
numerous holes had been drilled to anchor filler.  I ground off the
Bondo and measured it to be 3/16" in some places.  I decided it would
be best to replace the outer rocker panel.  After removing it, I
ground off the paint at the lower front part of the rear wing.  Again,
I ground through excell Bondo up to 1/4" in places.
The prevous body man had used a ballpean hammer to pound in the metal.
He then drilled a series of 1/8" holes to anchor the filler.  He did a
pretty decent job for appearance, except for the slight
overcontouring.

My question:  How much filler is too much?  I hated to cut away more
sheet metal, but I kept having dreams of the bondo falling off after
hitting a bump in the road.

Mike                          http://pages.prodigy.net/mikeross/
'66 Spitfire
'70 GT6+ (maroon)
'70 GT6+ (green)
'68 Spitfire (body for GT6 convertible project)
'69 GT6 parts car  (for project)