Running Temp of Spitfire 1500 1976

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Running Temp of Spitfire 1500 1976
From: "bobby 731" <bobby731@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 11:28:30 -0700
I have a question about the running temp of my spitfire.  When it is cool
outside I.E. below 70deg F  then the engine will run just below a half on
the temp gauge.  When the temp outside is above 70deg F then the Engine runs
at 3/4 on the temp gauge. I have taken the radiator to a radiator shop to
have it redone.  I have replaced the thermostat with
a 180Deg F and verified it opens at the right time.  I did have a
problem with the vacuum retard unit on the distributor, so I have
replaced that and set the timing.  I know my 76 originally came with a
mechanical fan, however the previous owner took that off and replaced
it with a electric fan.  Another note is that it can be any
temperature outside  and the engine will sit there idiling all day
without ever going above the 1/2 way mark.  I did a leakdown test on
the engine last weekend to see if there was a broken head gasket and I
could not find anything wrong.  I am kinda at a loss here. I am open to any
input that may help me fix the problem.  Thanks Bobby.