Re: opening the bonnet

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: opening the bonnet
From: reed mideke <rfm@redshift.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 15:26:34 -0700
James Carruthers wrote:

> It dawned on me yesterday that if I ever broke down in my Spit, and I was on
>my own, I wouldnt be able to open the bonnet - to check everything.
>
> Ive tried doing it before - but the bonnet just wont open. Also it seems to
>flex a certain amount - almost like its going to snap in half. So opening on
>just one side doesnt seem a good idea anyway. The side that Im not lifting
>just doesnt move - and just catches on on the catch.
>
> So can anyone actually open the bonnet on their own? Do I just not have the
>strength - do I need to start going down the gym? and has anyone installed any
>kind of gas lift like in modern cars?
>
> James
Mine opens fine from the driver side, need to wiggle it a little if
I try to open from the passenger side. As others have mentioned,
lift from the wheel arches, not the latches.
You may find that the some of the tubing structure under the bonnet
has cracked or come unwelded, giving it more flex than usual.
Also note that the latch positions and the front mounting
position are all adjustable.

[...]

--
Email:               rfm(at)redshift.com or rfm(at)portalofevil.com
Home page:                             http://www.redshift.com/~rfm