Re: Automatic Spitfire? Huh?

To: "Carter Shore" <clshore@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Automatic Spitfire? Huh?
From: "William Davies" <bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2002 22:25:13 -0000
----- Original Message -----
From: Carter Shore <clshore@yahoo.com>

> Were there ever any Herald or Dolomite auto trans?
> That would seem the easiest swap mechanically, though
> parts and reliability might be dodgy.

The Dolomite 1500 was produced in reasonable numbers as an auto, so it
shouldn't be difficult to track down the mechanical bits. From what was
previously discussed on the Herald list, some cutting around of the frame would
be necessary - the Spitfire is very similar in this area. The factory
apparently produced some modified frames to accomodate an Auto in a Vitesse,
but I've not seen one myself. There are apparently one or two currently in use
here in the UK,
    Cheers,
        Bill.

--