RE: UJs, Hypocondria and Mouse Traps

To: "'James Carruthers'" <j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk>,
Subject: RE: UJs, Hypocondria and Mouse Traps
From: Richard Gosling <richard.gosling@exprogroup.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 08:43:27 -0000
James said:

...I'm going to have spent about 600 pounds in 6 months (exhaust and
bearings/shafts (plus labour) + consumables such as oil etc - not petrol
though) - Im hoping that this isn't going to be a trend....

My experience (extending to the massive number of two old cars) is that the
first 6-12 months is the worst.  By that time, if your car is a daily (or at
least frequent) driver you will have replaced everything that was overdue
for replacement, broken everything that was already nearly broken, and your
car will become cheaper and more reliable to run.  My first year of Daffy
included a new engine, clutch, gearbox, sills, window winder, column stalks,
o/d switch, engine mounts, steering knuckle joint, brake hoses, UJs (twice!)
and halfshafts, front wishbone, alternator, starter, water pump...

Things are now wearing out and braking far less frequently, but there is now
the longer-term battle to be fought - the never-ending struggle against
rust!  At least Daffy lives indoors now, and I have a back-up car for when
it is wet, so the tin-worm progress should slow significantly.

Take heart, it will not always be this bad (probably)!

Richard & Daffy

Important Notice:
The information in this email is confidential and may be legally-privileged.
If you have reason to believe you are not the intended recipient, any
disclosure,
copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on
it is prohibited and may be unlawful and you are requested to contact the sender
urgently and dispose of this email