Re: show judging

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: show judging
From: john@triumphspitfire.com
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 11:12:58 -0400
It seems we are working on a different paradigm than show organizers
and some entrants. I love Spitfires, all Spitfires. Spotless restored
ones, clean original ones, "uprated" ones (from DGV Webers to Chevy
engine swaps), rusty ones, All Spitfires. They all have their place
in our Spitfire society.
Unfortunately, shows don't think like us or reward all the different
types of owners. I think it is partly our fault that we are looked
down upon by other TR's and British cars. If only one or two Spits
show up at a show allowing them to let us believe their attitudes.
Image if at a show there were more Spits than MGB's or TR6's? Would
they take notice? Of course. Not to mention that we would be molding
the attitude of future LBC owners.
I am a bit of a hypocrite as I never show my Spit. I don't understand
competing in a contest that is based on someone's opinion. Jim Clark
and had this very discussion at the Townsend show last weekend.
Should a not-so-perfect, but original car beat a perfect, overly
restored car with Webers and non-factory paint. I suppose that is up
to the judges. As soon as my car is "reliable" I will have it in
shows for not other reason but to have another Spit in line.
So what is the solution? Have our own show with our own values? NASS
(North Amer. Spitfire Squadron) is doing just that June 14-16 at Mid
Ohio Racetrack. There will be another Triumph show going on at the
same time but they have decided to compete among themselves in
attempts to keep things fair. They are encouraging all Spitfires, any
condition to be there lined up. In fact, they are giving out trophies
for "Daily Drivers" as well as "Trailer Queens" among others. The
only stipulaton is that the car has to be able to drive into the show
area. Trailer it there or push it there, doesn't matter.
More info can be found at http://www.wvbscc.org/nass/nass2002.html
John