Re: Shocks n Springs and all things...

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Shocks n Springs and all things...
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 08:48:46 -0400
Since your car doesn't appear to be particularly low in the pictures,
I'd suspect you've got worn out shocks.  Shocks don't do a lot in
straight compression, but they do have an affect.

But, I'd also try bouncing the front end with the old knee on the
bumper and then bounce a friend or two's Spitfire to see how they
deflect.  If you can deflect other Spitfires an inch, but can deflect
yours three inches, you've now located a problem with the spring itself.
 In that case, the spring has a very soft rate, allowing the suspension
to bottom easily.  The only fix there is to replace the spring.  I
wouldn't suggest cutting it in this case, as you'd most likely end up
with the front end too low by the time you got the spring rate where
you'd want it.

>>> "James Carruthers" <j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk> 08/12/02 06:06PM >>>
 I have been quite concerned recently over her complete lack of front
suspension stiffness - her suspension likes to "bottom out" as I call
it.