Re: Funny noises

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Funny noises
From: "Greg Rowe" <growe58@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 10:19:41 -0400
Sounds u-joint-ish.  Jack up and support the rear of the car
and do a visual inspection.  Also see if you can get any free
play prising the two flanges back and forth with a large
screwdriver.  Any more than minute movements means the uj is
done for.

The loud clunk is a bad sign, but may also be due to loose
bolts on the flange.  Check them too.

You probably don't want to put this off too long as ujs can
fail catastrophically and allow your rear wheel to do it's own
random steering movements.

The good news is that this isn't a big job.

Good luck!

Greg Rowe