Re: Funny noises

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Funny noises
From: Dan Canaan <flinters@picarefy.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 13:13:51 -0700
At 01:40 PM 8/26/02 +0100, Lambert, Iain wrote:
>Once again a question for the all knowing. I just hope it doesn`t create
>as much debate as the tappets. I am getting a CHI CHI CHI noise from the
>rear left wheel in time with road speed. It started with a ticking noise
>and progressed to what it is now after about 400 miles. Also there is an
>ominously loud clunk sometimes, not all the time, when I pull away in
>first. I hope this is not something big, as for the first time this year
>we are having glorious weather in Scotland. Thank you all again, you are
>priceless.

Three things to check:

1) Wheel lugnuts being loose

2) Rear wheel bearings worn (more of a rumbling and consistent usually,
more noticable on turns)

3) Universal joints on that axle halfshaft.  You can check for slop with
that side of the car up in the air, lock the drive shaft in place (in gear)
and move the axle shaft back and forth.  It will have a bit of slop due to
gear lash, but if one joint moves before the other or before the shaft out
of the differential moves, then the joint is suspect.  Changing them is a
bit of a challenge, but not terribly difficult for normal hand tools.  I'd
remove the half shaft and take it to a machine shop to have them swap out
the U joints.  It's definately easier and faster than doing it
yourself.  Cheap too.

-Vegaman Dan