Re:Adjusting SU carbs

To: nass@yahoogroups.com, spitfires@autox.team.net, tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Subject: Re:Adjusting SU carbs
From: Howard Baugues <bauguesh@abcs.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 22:15:19 -0500
Well, it appears that I have a leak... between the intake manifold and the
head. While running, I sprayed a shot of starter fluid (ether) on the front
half and the engine revved up quite a bit. I sprayed the rear section and
got the same result. I guess the used manifold gasket wasn't thick enough to
reuse. I have another used gasket, but figure it will produce the same results.
IF (big if) the local auto parts stores have the correct gasket
(NAPA, Autozone) I will replace it with a new one. IF they don't have it, I'll
order a replacement from Nigel @ Spitbits, and I'll use Form-A-Gasket on it for
this weekend's drive to the SIR Brit show in Newburgh Indiana.

Thanks to everyone for your help and suggestions. Hopefully sealing that gap
will correct the problem.

Now, one more question. I ran new emissions lines over the pancake air filters.
You can see pictures at http://www.wvbscc.org/baugues/carb.html
I also ran the gas line from the back carb to the front carb using copper
tubing. Is it OK to use copper tubing for the fuel supply line, or should I use
something line a stainless steel brakeline?

Thanks again,
Howard Baugues
76 & 77 Spits
79 TR7 DHC