Experience w/ Robbin's Tops

To: "spitfires@autox.team" <spitfires@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Experience w/ Robbin's Tops
From: "mikeross" <mikeross@prodigy.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 19:11:12 -0500
Hi all,

I just wanted to share an experience I just had with the Robbins company that
makes aftermarket convertible tops.  In July of 1999 I bought a vinyl top for
my son's Mazda Miata.  We've been modifying it over the last several years and
just got around to having the top installed last August.  It had been in the
original box from Moss since 1999.  After the installation it looked great.
Then just two months later it developed small pinpoint air-bubbles within the
clear rear plastic window.  They were so small and numerous that it was
difficult to see clearly through.

I called Robbins and was told that the top was warrentied for 1 year after
installation (some tops are 3 years).  They required a receipt from Moss
though, and I couldn't find it.  The Robbins rep. gave me a number to call
Moss and said that they keep record of all purchases so it shouldn't be a
problem.  He said to just have Moss issue a return authorization.  I called
Moss and they do keep records, but their records only go back to November of
1999, so they had no record of the purchase.

I was able to find a credit card statement from July, '99 with a purchase from
Moss that was close to the cost of the top plus shipping.  I faxed it to
Robbins with some photos of the damage.  I got a call the next day from the
rep.  He said Robbins would send a new top at no charge if I would return the
old one, at their cost.

Bottom line:  though the top was defective, the customer support was beyond
belief!

Mike Ross    http://pages.prodigy.net/mikeross    updated 10/05/02

'63 Triumph Spitfire
'66 Triumph Spitfire