Re: Funky D-type O/D, P. III

To: "ptegler@cablespeed" <ptegler@cablespeed.com>,
Subject: Re: Funky D-type O/D, P. III
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 14:42:41 -0800
Okay, here's my report.  I drained the Hypoid 80/90 from both the gearbox and
the O/D, and replaced it with straight Valvoline 50w racing oil, supplied by
my transmission man.  It took several seconds for the oil to work into the O/D
channels, but then it kicked in nice and solid.  No more slippage under
acceleration.  I haven't been on the freeway yet to really give it a good
workover, but the switch to the lighter viscosity gearbox oil seems to have
done the trick.  At least, that's my preliminary assessment.  I also notice
smoother shifting in the gearbox.  I wouldn't have thought I'd feel much
difference there, but I do and I like the change.

Take care,

Jeff in San Diego

1968 Spitfire Mk3 aka "Mrs. Jones"
Back on the road 3/17/03...
Visit the Totally Triumph Network
"Friendly and focused discussion of all things Triumph!"
www.TotallyTriumph.net