Re: Re-installing engine & tranny as a unit?

To: Kevin Rhodes <krhodes1@maine.rr.com>,
Subject: Re: Re-installing engine & tranny as a unit?
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 11:57:12 -0500
> Hey gang,
>
> Hopefully I will have my engine back in in the next couple
> weeks. I need to  take the gearbox out to replace a seal
> and re-wire the overdrive. Would it  be easier to
> re-attach the engine to the gearbox before putting it all
> back  in the car? Seems like it would save a lot of
> wrestling trying to get the  input shaft through the
> clutch disk. Any pointers?

Kevin,

Mating the xmission and the eng. will be a lot easier out of
the car.  But either way,

1.  You will need a clutch pilot aligning tool.
2.  Another trick is to get some long bolts that will fit
the
    upper holes in the block, and cut off the heads.  Then
slide
    the xmission onto them.  It takes the load off you and
helps
    the alignment.
3.  Make sure the xmission is in gear.  That way, you can
turn
    the output shaft to turn the input shaft so it aligns
with
    with the clutch plate.

> Also, I would like to make an inspection plate in the
> transmission tunnel  cover to access the level checking
> hole. Any advise for this? I have one of  the heavy
> rubbery plastic tunnels. Sheet of aluminum to cover the
> hole?

Yes, you can make a cover with a piece of AL flashing and
use
some sheet metal screws to hold it to the cover, or use some
speed nuts on the cover.

Hope this helps.

John

        65 Rambler Classic