Re-installing engine & tranny as a unit?

To: SpitList <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re-installing engine & tranny as a unit?
From: Kevin Rhodes <krhodes1@maine.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2003 18:25:58 -0400
Hey gang,

Hopefully I will have my engine back in in the next couple weeks. I need to
take the gearbox out to replace a seal and re-wire the overdrive. Would it
be easier to re-attach the engine to the gearbox before putting it all back
in the car? Seems like it would save a lot of wrestling trying to get the
input shaft through the clutch disk. Any pointers? This is a 77 Spitfire
chassis and tub. While I have the gearbox out, is there anything I should
do in the way of overdrive servicing? Isn't there a filter? The gearbox and
overdrive were rebuilt ~20K miles ago.

Also, I would like to make an inspection plate in the transmission tunnel
cover to access the level checking hole. Any advise for this? I have one of
the heavy rubbery plastic tunnels. Sheet of aluminum to cover the hole?

Kevin Rhodes
Freddy the Spit