Re: HS2 parts confusion

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: HS2 parts confusion
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 06:52:41 -0400
The rubber tipped needles are "new and improved" with the good and bad
points you've noted.  Fwiw, they've been new and improved for probably
30 years now, but that's another issue.  It is a solid rubber tip, not
simply a coating.  You don't want to try scraping it away.

Not sure why yours are so long.  I wouldn't go bending the floats to
fix.  Instead, I'd look closely at the old needles, and probably re-use
them.

>>> "Steve Carter" <steve@juggler.net> 06/11/03 01:35PM >>>
Hi listy peeps,

Just got my bits from rimmer bros to overhaul the HS2s on my '65 mkII.
Most
of the bits look OK, if not identical to the parts I'm taking off.  A
strange thing though, I'm replacing the float chamber inlet valves,
and
though the new outers are the same size as the old, the inners are a mm
or
two longer.  This means that when the valve is closed the float is a
good
6mm lower than it used to be.  I'm reluctant to 'adjust' this to the
specified gap as that would mean a *lot* of bending.

Another peculiarity I noticed is that the old part has metal bearing
against
metal to close the valve, whereas the new inners seem to have a rubber
cone
on the end.  While you would think this made a better seal, it seems
result in the valve sticking too.  This led me to wonder whether the
rubber
cone was a protective cover for the metal cone beneath... but I don't
want
to find out that it isn't by breaking off a part that's supposed to be
integral!

Ideas?  Have I got valves for the wrong float chamber?

The information contained in this communication may be confidential, is
privileged.
If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this
communication, or any of its contents, is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this communication in error, please re-send this
communication to the sender and delete the original message and any copy of it
from your computer system. Thank you.