HS2 parts confusion

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: HS2 parts confusion
From: "Steve Carter" <steve@juggler.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 18:35:28 +0100
Hi listy peeps,

Just got my bits from rimmer bros to overhaul the HS2s on my '65 mkII.  Most
of the bits look OK, if not identical to the parts I'm taking off.  A
strange thing though, I'm replacing the float chamber inlet valves, and
though the new outers are the same size as the old, the inners are a mm or
two longer.  This means that when the valve is closed the float is a good
6mm lower than it used to be.  I'm reluctant to 'adjust' this to the
specified gap as that would mean a *lot* of bending.

Another peculiarity I noticed is that the old part has metal bearing against
metal to close the valve, whereas the new inners seem to have a rubber cone
on the end.  While you would think this made a better seal, it seems to
result in the valve sticking too.  This led me to wonder whether the rubber
cone was a protective cover for the metal cone beneath... but I don't want
to find out that it isn't by breaking off a part that's supposed to be
integral!

Ideas?  Have I got valves for the wrong float chamber?

Also, thanks to the "quiz" last week, I checked my throttle discs, and they
were both misaligned, not closing fully!  The car's been running really well
when cold, but losing power once warmed up.  I'm hopeful that the disc
adjustment, replacement of jets and needles, and new gaskets will fix
this...

Cheers,

Steve