Re: Electric Fuel Pump

To: spitfires@autox.team.net, parrotthead01@comcast.net
Subject: Re: Electric Fuel Pump
From: Adam Rodnitzky <arodnitzky@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 17:36:53 -0700 (PDT)
Finally! A question where I feel I actually have the
answer! I purchased an electric fuel pump to replace
the dodgy mechanical pump in my '70 Mk3, and so far
have been quite happy with the results. I have opted
to install without a pressure regulator, and have
noticed no difference in driveability versus the
original pump (my car is 1296cc with the single
stromberg carb, freeflow air filter and full monza
exhaust setup).
Here is where I got my pump, for just $33. It is a
Purolator, but I understand it is the exact same as
the Facet pumps many have used in their Triumphs and
Fiats. Very simple solid state affair, no points to
gap or clean. It has been very reliable for me so far:

http://www.midwayautosupply.com/detailedproductdescription.asp?2808

When installing the pump, you can either get a fuel
pump blockoff plate (I've got one from a big block
Chevy V8, needs a few minor mods to seal right) or
just leave the original pump in place, but plug the
output to relieve pressure on the pump arm. Make sure
you put an inline filter between the gas tank and the
new pump so it doesn't get chewed up inside.

Hope this helps!

Adam
'70 Spitfire Mk3
'03 Saab 9-3SS