Re: Parts Stores== Slightly off topic===

To: Mike Chambers <mikech@sprynet.com>
Subject: Re: Parts Stores== Slightly off topic===
From: flinters <flinters@picarefy.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 23:13:10 -0700 (PDT)
I too have spent my time behind the parts counter at NAPA.  It's sad to
say, but the number one rule in retail is The Customer is an Idiot and
Must Be Told What They Want.  Often folks will come in with only a vague
idea what is wrong with the car by symptoms only and no clue what the real
problem causing the situation is.  By going through the process of asking
for year, make, model, etc, the parts person can start mentally going
through a checklist of potential trouble areas and whittle down the list.

The engine isn't running smoothly.  It's erractic.

Ah, so it could be electrical, air filter, fuel, timing, etc.  So you ask
what year/make/model/engine it has.

It's a 1988 Chev pickup with a 350.

Okay, with that info alone, I can eliminate several things.  It's not
carburated (TBI in 1988), and it has electronic ignition (1975).  That
means it's not going to be ignition likely.  It *could* be, but highly
unlikely.  The ECU mounted inside the distributor usually completely fails
at once but not only partially.  Cool.  It could be fuel or timing though.
Let's ask other seemingly inane questions.

The problem occurred after a recent trip cross country.  Hmm.  Fuel
filter?  Air filter?  Dirty gas?  Timing jumped?

Anyways, it's a process you use to lead the customer through a series of
questions to get the information you need so you don't have to keep asking
the same questions time and time again, especially if you find there
mid-year production changes.  We all know Triumphs didn't change that much
from year to year, but it's not a make that folks look up that often
compared to Toyota or Honda so they may not know that except by
experience.

-Vegaman Dan
-Napa Auto Parts / Gosney Motor Parts / Store #109

* Flinthoof Ponypal                                                 *
* Vegaman Dan                                                       *
* http://jarmac.picarefy.com            Ponypics!                   *
* http://jarmac.picarefy.com/spitfire   1968 Triumph Spitfire       *
* http://jarmac.picarefy.com/roomies    Roomies! online comic strip *