Seized speedo - unusual?

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Seized speedo - unusual?
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 23:30:32 -0700
I recently installed a NOS Mk3 Spitfire speedometer.  For the first 24 miles,
it worked like a champ.  Steady and smooth, with absolutely no needle bounce.
Then, failure.  I blamed the broken angle drive, but after installing a second
angle drive and then discovering that the speedo itself is siezed tight where
the cable enters, I'm wondering...  Is this just something that happens with
these old instruments that have been sitting on shelf for three decades?
Obviously a disappointment.  Is this thing toast now or repairable?  Anyone
else run into something like this before?

Take care,

Jeff in San Diego

1968 Spitfire Mk3 aka "Mrs. Jones"
Visit the Totally Triumph Network
"Friendly and focused discussion of all things Triumph!"
www.TotallyTriumph.net