Re: Seized speedo - unusual?

To: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Seized speedo - unusual?
From: "William Davies" <bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2003 09:56:57 +0100
----- Original Message -----
From: Jeff McNeal <jmcneal@ohms.com>

> Is this just something that happens with
> these old instruments that have been sitting on shelf for three decades?

Hi Jeff,
    This is very common with NOS speedos - the grease in the instrument
solidifies with age, causing the instrument to jam shortly after it starts to
work for a living.

> Obviously a disappointment.  Is this thing toast now or repairable?

I would have thought it rebuildable, but I don't know what components
specifically fail when this happens. I'v not got involved with instrument
rebuilding yet.....
    Cheers,
        Bill.

--