Re: Seized speedo - unusual?

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Seized speedo - unusual?
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2003 11:03:24 +0100
On Fri, 20 Jun 2003, at around 23:30:32 local time, Jeff McNeal
<jmcneal@ohms.com> wrote:
>I recently installed a NOS Mk3 Spitfire speedometer.  For the first 24 miles,
>it worked like a champ.  Steady and smooth, with absolutely no needle bounce.
>Then, failure.  I blamed the broken angle drive, but after installing a second
>angle drive and then discovering that the speedo itself is siezed tight where
>the cable enters, I'm wondering...  Is this just something that happens with
>these old instruments that have been sitting on shelf for three decades?

Dear Jeff,

So I am led to believe.

>Obviously a disappointment.  Is this thing toast now or repairable?

There is a fantastic website which allows you to download a manual which
talks you through stripping and refurbishing Smith's speedos.   I have
used this manual in the past, with great success.   The URL is:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/rhodes/speedo.html

ATB
--
Mike
Carly  - 1977 Inca Yellow Spitfire 1500 FH105671