Dashpot oil thanks!

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Dashpot oil thanks!
From: "Steve Carter" <steve@juggler.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2003 18:12:54 +0100
Thanks for both those very helpful replies about dashpot oil.  Between posting
my question and next checking my mail, I completed the rebuild of my second
carb, put them on the car and filled the dashpots with 3-in-1 and took it out
for a couple of trips.  I did indeed experience "stumbling", i.e. the power
dies when suddenly pressing the accelerator.  With gentle acceleration it
seemed fine.

I had two slight scares: (1) A rattling, scraping noise from the front right
brakes that stopped when I touched the brake pedal.  I've only just had the
brakes very expensively serviced so I'll be back to the garage on this matter.
What was really scary was when the noise stopped and seemed to coincide with
the sound of something small and metal bouncing down the road.  I think I
might bump this one up the list of things to check out, say above the cockpit
heater valve...  Scare (2) was when I got just over 60mph on a nice downhill
straight, then released the pedal and didn't lose any speed!  Had to hook my
toe under the pedal to get any engine braking.  I first thought this might be
due to carb pistons sticking, but later noticed that I'd cocked up the choke
linkage between the two carbs so I'll set that straight before I try anything
more involved.

Taking your advice into consideration, after correcting the linkages I'll be
putting some thicker oil in to see if that calms things down a bit.  I'm glad
to hear that it *is* just wave a chicken at it and turn around 3 times, as
that's what I'd picked up from what I'd read!

--
There is an almost uncountable number of pain-relief drugs on the market right
now. If pain were due to a drug deficiency, they might have more to offer