RE: Installed Defective Cam. Need Advice On New One

To: "Spitfires Mail List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>, <6pack@autox.team.net>,
Subject: RE: Installed Defective Cam. Need Advice On New One
From: "Chris & Kelly Sharp" <4sharps@lvcm.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 22:44:13 -0700
Bob-

Sounds like you got a bad cam, unless you failed to lube that particular
lobe during assembly.  I'd try to get a replacement from them at no cost.
If you send the cam back, they may be able to analyze it and tell you what
the problem was.  I've never dealt with BPNW, but the feedback I've heard
from them on the various lists indicates that they are fair and most folks
are happy with the service they provide.

I recently rebuilt the engine in my 64 Spitfire and decided to upgrade the
cam.  Not much in the way of aftermarket cams available for 1147s.  I had
Ted at TSImported regrind my original cam to spec (TSI275-4) and ordered new
cam followers.  I decided to have the cam and followers "hardened" before
installing them.  I was looking for someone to nitride them but that process
has some environmental problems and few people are doing that any more.  I
ended up having them parkerized, the same process used to "blue" gun parts
(I think....)  The company that did the work for me also does this same
process for racing engines, street rods, etc.

I've put less than 1K miles on it since the rebuild so the jury is still
out.  However, I've had no problems to this point.  The car has a noticible
increase in power and idles smoothly, just a little higher than before.

Cheers.

Chris
'64 Spitfire4 BFC26375L