RE: Installed Defective Cam. Need Advice On New One

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Installed Defective Cam. Need Advice On New One
From: Terry Thompson <firespiter@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 13:47:17 -0700 (PDT)
That's why I chose Jigsaw racing for my last camshaft.
They nitride their camshaft regrinds (or so they
stipulate). I'm not sure if the UK is just more
environmentally lenient or if I bought the proverbial
white elephant, but I couldn't find anyone that would
tuftride or nitride their own grind on this side of
the pond (U.S.).
-Terry

Bob-

Sounds like you got a bad cam, unless you failed to
lube that
particular
lobe during assembly.  I'd try to get a replacement
from them at no
cost.
If you send the cam back, they may be able to analyze
it and tell you
what
the problem was.  I've never dealt with BPNW, but the
feedback I've
heard
from them on the various lists indicates that they are
fair and most
folks
are happy with the service they provide.

I recently rebuilt the engine in my 64 Spitfire and
decided to upgrade
the
cam.  Not much in the way of aftermarket cams
available for 1147s.  I
had
Ted at TSImported regrind my original cam to spec
(TSI275-4) and
ordered new
cam followers.  I decided to have the cam and
followers "hardened"
before
installing them.  I was looking for someone to nitride
them but that
process
has some environmental problems and few people are
doing that any more.
ended up having them parkerized, the same process used
to "blue" gun
parts
(I think....)  The company that did the work for me
also does this same
process for racing engines, street rods, etc.

I've put less than 1K miles on it since the rebuild so
the jury is
still
out.  However, I've had no problems to this point.
The car has a
noticible
increase in power and idles smoothly, just a little
higher than before.

Cheers.

Chris
'64 Spitfire4 BFC26375L