More O/D wiring - relay? And fan current draw.

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: More O/D wiring - relay? And fan current draw.
From: Kevin Rhodes <krhodes1@maine.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 22:50:03 -0400
I spent some time perusing the Haynes manual this evening - noticed
something interesting. MK IV Spits had a relay in the O/D wiring, but
1500's did not. My car's O/D (and chassis + tub) is a 77, but the PO had
wired in a standard automotive relay. Seems to me if nothing else this
would relieve the burden on the switch in the gearknob, but it would be a
whole lot simpler to wire it up 77 style, rather than 72 style. Thoughts?
Pros and cons?

Also - what would be an appropriate size fuse for the 79-80 style electric
cooling fan? I am making a new harness for that too, and want to use a
fused relay. Is 15amps enough?

Kevin Rhodes
Westbrook, Maine
Freddy the soon-to-be-mobile-I-hope Spitfire