Re: manifold removal?

To: danvon@scripps.edu, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: manifold removal?
From: Tburke4@aol.com
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 02:09:29 EDT
Hello Dan,

I am mostly a lurker, but, I have been there and done this. The archive might
tell you a lot about this, but here are the high points:

1. All the nuts can be devilish, but the two outside studs are the worst (I
broke the front one and ended up pulling the engine and taking it to a machine
shop). If the other one balks, consider splitting the nut with a Dremel tool.
The manifolds will separate easily, but obviously there are lots of other
connections that you might want to remove or cover, especially if you're going
be in there with a torch.

2.  It may be possible to use heat to loosen the broken stud. Also you might
be able to weld a nut onto the stub end and then turn that while heating the
surrounding area of the head. I did this on a Volvo and it worked pretty good.
I used a Mapp Gas/Oxygen torch. Propane alone doesn't get it hot enough sez
the machine shop guy.

3. The inner, longer, lower nuts are hard to get a purchase on. It can be
done with an open-end wrench, but you will need a pair of gloves and a full
supply of Anglo-Saxon oaths, similar to the ones you probably used when the
stud
broke.

4. Replace all the studs and nuts with proper new ones and re-installation
will go much better. New gaskets, of course. Proper torquing and maybe some of
that hi-temp copper gasket sealer will help avoid vacuum leaks.

Have fun,

Tom Burke
80 Spit