manifold removal?

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: manifold removal?
From: Dan Von Seggern <danvon@scripps.edu>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 09:51:48 -0700
Hi listers.

I may be morphing into a D%*)# Present Owner, and am hoping that
someone can help.   I set out to install the carb heat shield on my
1500 (a 76 CA spec model) which appeared to involve only pulling a
couple of bolts on the manifold and then adding the shield.  Well, of
course, nothing is that easy, is it?  Long story short, I now have a
broken bolt in the manifold (as far as i can tell these  go through the
intake manifold and are threaded in the exhaust manifold) AND as a
special  bonus, a broken screw extractor in the stub of the bolt.  As
you can imagine, I really can't get at that now to do anything about it.

so it looks like the manifold(s) are coming off to sort this out.  The
questions are:

1)  how big a job is that?  it seems like it ought to be easy enough
but . . . . Does this involve any tricks/special concerns?  anything to
watch (torque setting tricks or whatever) when putting it all back
together?  And i assume that I should use new gaskets rather than
re-using the old, no?

2)  Is it OK to take the two manifolds off together annd then separate
them?  I'd prefer not to mess with the other bolt until they are off,
to avoid getting in deeper trouble.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Dan