Switching from Stromberg to SU

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Switching from Stromberg to SU
From: Adam Rodnitzky <arodnitzky@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 18:16:14 -0800 (PST)
Hi Everyone,

I'm currently in the process of switching my '70 Mk3
from the single Stromberg to the twin SUs. Here's what
I've done so far:

- Bought a used Mk3 dual SU manifold
- Bought two used SU carbs from a '69 Mk3
- Bought a rebuild kit from Burlen Fuel Systems in the
UK (including throttle shafts and throttle butterfly
discs)
- Rebuilt the carbs with above kit
- Ordered K&N filters
- Ordered an EC valve & hose, mounting bolts, new
intake/exhaust manifold gasket from SpitBits

So I think I've got a good foundation and the next
steps I am guessing are the following:

- Connect my existing (non-cable) throttle linkage and
cable choke linkage to the new carbs once they are
installed
- Route new fuel hoses between the fuel pump and carbs
and between the front and rear carb.
- Tune and synchronize the rebuilt carbs.

Questions I have...

- Can I adapt my existing throttle linkage, or do I
need to find a used linkage from a '67-'69 Mk3?
- The needles and piston in the suction chamber rise
and fall smoothly into the new jets, but don't settle
all the way down -- there's still approx. a 1/4" to
1/2" gap between the bottom of the piston and the
bottom of the carb throttle body. Is this correct, or
are the jets or something else out of alignment?
- The only two external linkages that came with the
carbs I bought was A) a connection between the front
carb and rear carb's throttle linkages and B) a
mystery linkage which looks to connect the linkages
that push the jets up or down. Is there anything else
I need?
- Do people generally recommend the Unisyn tool. or is
the mechanic's stethoscope method of tuning reliable?
Once the carbs are synched, should I pull out my
ColorTune and adjust the mixture further or just not
mess with it?

Thanks!

Adam
'70 Spitfire Mk3

PS -- Just received Joe Curry's '70 Mk3 front badge
restoration kit today and it looks great! Thanks Joe!

http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree