64 MK2 Spitfire ??? & seltbelt mount question.

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: 64 MK2 Spitfire ??? & seltbelt mount question.
From: sinclair@degenkolb.com
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 11:44:18 -0800
All very interesting.  My new Spit is turning up more surprises the more I
look.

There are two plates on the tub
- a larger upper one that say FC 3824?L
- and a smaller lower one that says 3696? FC
What does the L signify?  Left hand drive I suppose?

The papers match the earlier number and say it was first sold in 64 but
registered in 65.  Both plates have been there quite a while - through at
least one respray.  The color code on the upper plate is 32 - which I guess
is signal red and matches the current color?   But it looks like there is a
light blue underneath in many places.

Now it gets stranger - it has the 1147 engine (FC39146HE), but has the MK2
push button doors, the bolted mounts for the convertible top frame, the
wheel well seat belt mounts, and reversing lights.

I guess someone just took a MK2 or 3 tub and married it with an earlier
engine & chassis and swapped the plate.  It doesn't have the MK3 badges so
I suppose MK2.  I wonder what I should call it - 1964 MK2.  1966 MK1?

There is also a plate in the upper part of each wheel well with four holes
- looks like it would suit a roll-bar or something.  It is covered with
black vinyl that looks very old.  Anyone know what these mounts are for?
Also - I don't see any mounts for the seat-belt retractor thingummy.  Am I
correct in thinking that this is a single nut that would appear in the
wheel well just above the rear parcel shelf?  Are the four holes possibly
for some alternate type of retractor unit?  They are quite high on the
wheel well - right below the single bolt mount for the shoulder belt.

Thanks
Mark