Re: 64 MK2 Spitfire ??? & seltbelt mount question.

To: sinclair@degenkolb.com, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 64 MK2 Spitfire ??? & seltbelt mount question.
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 18:20:31 EST
In a message dated 11/12/2003 2:49:48 PM Eastern Standard Time,
sinclair@degenkolb.com writes:

> There are two plates on the tub
> - a larger upper one that say FC 3824?L
> - and a smaller lower one that says 3696? FC
> What does the L signify?  Left hand drive I suppose?

Correct!

Question for you: Does the "?" in each number above represent a number you
can't read or prefer not to quote? I'm assuming yes based on the engine number
you quoted. That would put it well into 1964 calendar (and model) year
production originally.

> The color code on the upper plate is 32 - which I guess
> is signal red and matches the current color?   But it looks like there is a
> light blue underneath in many places.

Sounds more and more as if someone needed to replace the tub and was smart
enough to keep the original body tub number plate (the painted one ending in
FC)
along with the original commission number plate. And the fact that the
commission number plate shows the paint and trim numbers again confirms the
car
originally was a '64 model.

> Now it gets stranger - it has the 1147 engine (FC39146HE), but has the MK2
> push button doors, the bolted mounts for the convertible top frame, the
> wheel well seat belt mounts, and reversing lights.

What about the rear bumper(ette)s? Are they the higher mounted quarter
bumpers of the Mk3 WITHOUT overriders?

> I wonder what I should call it - 1964 MK2.  1966 MK1?

I'd call it whatever the papers call it!

> There is also a plate in the upper part of each wheel well with four holes
> - looks like it would suit a roll-bar or something.  It is covered with
> black vinyl that looks very old.  Anyone know what these mounts are for?
> Also - I don't see any mounts for the seat-belt retractor thingummy.

As I recall, there's often nothing at all on the wheel arch of the "Mk1"
Spitfire. Mk2 and later cars would've had a single mount for a sholder
harness. I
don't believe any Spitfire prior to the MkIV would've been equipped from the
factory with an interia reel-type belt and shoulder harness combination. At
least through the 1969 model year, "Federal" Spitfires were equipped with
US-sourced seat belts, with the non-buckle side on a simple clip-on retractor.
One
could add the shoulder harness part; this had an oblong "ring" that slipped
over
the male portion of the belt buckle.

That "plate" with the four holes sure sounds like a vestige of an old roll
bar mount to me!

--Andy Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,
 Triumph Herald engine with wings.