Re: >>NASS Repair/rebuild bonnet sites?

To: <nass@yahoogroups.com>, "Team.net Spit list"
Subject: Re: >>NASS Repair/rebuild bonnet sites?
From: "Livia Haasper" <wilivhaasper@sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 09:49:57 -0500
Hi Nick,
we finished our bonnet. It's in primer and, along with the other panels,
waiting to be painted this spring as soon as the body work on the tub is
completed. The bonnet on the GT6, like everything else on the car, was in poor
shape and needed a lot of repairs. The area around the wheel arches was
totally rusted away, the nose section needed work, we also had some minor
dents and rusted holes to deal with. We disassembled the inside wheel arches
and repaired them separately. In our case, compared to the floor, sills and
firewall repairs, the bonnet was not *that* big of a deal. It was very time
consuming, but manageable. So, if you've done sills etc. you're probably going
to be able to do this job.

 I've never seen bonnet repair, or any body repair for that matter, done
without the use of bondo. You've got to use some of it to smooth out
imperfections, but the key is, the repair has to be done fairly accurate in
order not to slap too much bondo onto the panel, causing eventual cracking in
the repaired areas. Some people see the use of bondo as an easy solution to
just cover problem areas, fast and easy, but this doesn't work in the long
run. You've got to the cut and weld. For this kind of repair, we're always
using a gas welder and do butt welds. This makes a clean seam with no
overlapping metal.

If you're able to get a decent bonnet fairly cheap, go for it. However, I've
not seen such a lucky find in Canada. No sense in buying something that may
just be slightly better than the one you already have, as the repairs are
probably the same.

I've got lots of pictures. Let me know if you want me to send them to you.
Cheers
Liv