Shifting Trouble -- 70 Spit Mk3

To: Spitfire Digest <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Shifting Trouble -- 70 Spit Mk3
From: Adam Rodnitzky <arodnitzky@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 12:48:33 -0800 (PST)
Hi Everyone,

My Spitfire seems to have developed a problem with
shifting. Specifically, upshifts into 2nd and 3rd
occasionally cause minor grinding (2nd much more than
3rd), and downshifting into 2nd is now pretty much
impossible, even with double-clutching.
My first inclination was thrust washers. So I took off
the sump, and one thrust washer was in the oil pan. It
was the front one, and it was unworn -- almost
perfect. The rear thrust washer was still in place,
but badly worn to the point that the bearing cap had
about (estimated) 0.5 mm or so shaved off from the
crank being pushed forward. I figured this wasn't too
bad. I replaced the washers with a standard set, and
crank endfloat is back in spec.
After putting everything back together...same problem,
not any better. The next thing I'll do is bleed the
clutch (although it feels fine). My guess, however, is
that 2nd gear synchro has gone. But why the difficulty
upshifting into both 2nd & 3rd? Any thoughts would be
appreciated!

Thanks!

Adam
'70 Spit Mk3