Giles is up for possible sale (Seattle)

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Giles is up for possible sale (Seattle)
From: Dan Canaan <flinters@roomies.furry.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 11:06:54 -0800
With job loss, no cash in the bank, and the inability to pay the coming
month's rent in a few weeks, I don't have much choice- I must sell Giles,
my 68 Mk III.   I don't want to do it, but it's been sitting in a storage
unit since a year ago when I moved from a nice big house to a tiny two
bedroom apartment and now I have no way to work on it.  I really wish I
did.  If I could store it someplace for the winter, then that might help,
but right now, I just have no place for the car to sit.

I rescured it from being a scrapped donor car, and it was a running and
drivable car.  I tore it down to the frame for a rebuild and got all that
part done, but ran out of time before the move to do more than to bolt the
body back in place.  The bodywork is mostly done- need to finish up one
rust patch on the passenger side wing ( I have the new patch panel
ready),  but the bonnet is spot on, doors are smooth, rear boot lid in good
shape- the car is SO close to being finished it is painful.

To be drivable, it needs to have the clutch and brakes (rebuilt from line
to wheel cylinders fully), filled and flushed, electrical harness put back
in (got a spare complete with an intact fuse box and cover), seats bolted
down, and door hardware reinstalled along with glass regulators and side
glass.  Then it's road ready.

Vehicle has a vintage 1968 plate on it complete with 1968 tab stickers.  It
will never need licensing ever again in its lifetime.  That alone is worth
a bit since it's hard to find 1968 tabs.

I'll toss in all the extra parts, spare engine (1200 block, pistons, rings,
etc- all machined, painted, and just ready for reassembly), extra heads,
etc.  I've put several grand into this project, and the chassis alone is
wonderful- all red sparkly, and clean.  Heck, even if you don't use the
body, the chassis alone is worth looking at.

Check out my detailed website on what I did to the car:

http://www.ponypics.com/spitfire

I paid $1000 originally for the car as a non-running scrap/donor car.  I
got it running, then did a full rebuild of the chassis.  Engine is clean
and ready to go.  It's got a header on it.

I don't know what it's worth at this point.  Your thoughts and suggestions
are appreciated.

If I can get storage, then I don't have to sell it, but that's tricky too
since I still need cash.  The leeching that is the storage unit cost ($130)
is eating me up more, I think.

-Vegaman Dan