Re: Suggestions for front spring compression

To: pdgrafelman@hotmail.com, spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Suggestions for front spring compression
From: Tburke4@aol.com
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 12:13:46 EST
Hi Paul,

If your firmer springs are shorter than stock, you may not have to compress
them. A set I used slipped under the tower with no big fuss.

In answer to your comment about having it done by a machine shop, it is true
that they could probably handle it easily and at a nominal price. If you're in
a hurry, that option makes a lot of sense. Compressing stock springs, even
the tiny Spitfire ones can be a nerve-wracking process and a fair amount of
work. Add in the time and gas spent running around shopping for them and the
shop
fee looks better and better.

Getting stock springs out of the mounts without compressors, is quite
possible, but as mentioned here and elsewhere, not really safe or foolproof.
You have
to ask yourself, "Do I feel unlucky?".

I used a modified set of cheap HF spring compressors, set up more or less
like the rig shown in James' photo. Using them as they were designed to be used
"out of the box" is an invitation to disaster.

Tom Burke
80 Spitfire