Saving money at the hardware store

To: spitfires@autox.team.net (Spitfires)
Subject: Saving money at the hardware store
From: s1500@comcast.net
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 16:03:58 +0000
The ragtop hardware restoration project continues as forward. A little bit of
hand-painting on the scratches of the rails, and it looks brand new...from a
distance. One must remember that if you dare sand any part of the
rails(preferrably around scratched-to-the-bare-metal areas) you have to paint
over it since the paint looks super-dull.

But what I am asking the forum is how many parts could one theoretically buy at
the hardware store to save money? I noticed the nylon/plastic washers that go
under the mounting bolt heads are a whopping .95 cents a piece at Vicky Brit.
You need 20 of them. I found equivical ones(pretty much a perfect size match)
at Hardware Hank's for 25 cents a piece. That's a good deal of $ saved. I just
wish I could have found the bolts & shouldered bushings there, saving me even
more money.

As for general bolts and such all around the car, I find they are all fine
thread, wher everything in hardware stores, moreso for house projects are
coarse threaded. Was hoping I could stock up, replacing rusted-out bolts for
nice shiny new ones. Oh well.

--
http://infaux.net

===     http://www.vtr.org