Re: Saving money at the hardware store

To: s1500@comcast.net, spitfires@autox.team.net (Spitfires)
Subject: Re: Saving money at the hardware store
From: doug@dougbraun.com
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 12:11:08 -0500
At 04:03 PM 12/20/2005 +0000, s1500@comcast.net wrote:

>As for general bolts and such all around the car, I find they are all fine
>thread, wher everything in hardware stores, moreso for house projects are
>coarse threaded. Was hoping I could stock up, replacing rusted-out bolts for
>nice shiny new ones. Oh well.

Find a better hardware store.  It should be at all hard to find fine-threaded
bolts.

You should be able to clean up and re-use the special nuts and bolts from the
soft top frame, I think.

I have found that hardware-store bolts, even the correct ones, are okay for
simple, low-stress things
like the muffler and radiator brackets.  But be sure to use  the correct
hardware for the suspension, drivetrain, etc.!!!

Doug Braun
'72 Spit

===     http://www.vtr.org