Re: Saving money at the hardware store

To: Spitfires <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Saving money at the hardware store
From: "Dr. John Faustus" <drfaustus@necromancy.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 10:28:07 -0700
s1500@comcast.net wrote:
> The ragtop hardware restoration project continues as forward. A little bit of
>hand-painting on the scratches of the rails, and it looks brand new...from a
>distance. One must remember that if you dare sand any part of the
>rails(preferrably around scratched-to-the-bare-metal areas) you have to paint
>over it since the paint looks super-dull.
>
> But what I am asking the forum is how many parts could one theoretically buy
>at the hardware store to save money? I noticed the nylon/plastic washers that
>go under the mounting bolt heads are a whopping .95 cents a piece at Vicky
>Brit. You need 20 of them. I found equivical ones(pretty much a perfect size
>match) at Hardware Hank's for 25 cents a piece. That's a good deal of $ saved.
>I just wish I could have found the bolts & shouldered bushings there, saving
>me even more money.
>
> As for general bolts and such all around the car, I find they are all fine
>thread, wher everything in hardware stores, moreso for house projects are
>coarse threaded. Was hoping I could stock up, replacing rusted-out bolts for
>nice shiny new ones. Oh well.

Look in your local yellow pages and find someone who specializes in
fasteners.  Barring that, there are a lot of companies on the internet
who specialize in fasteners.  They are usually a lot cheaper than buying
fasteners from people who don't specialize in them.  Some of them make
you buy in bulk though.

Andy L.

--
If a man be drunk overnight, the devil cannot hurt him in the morning.

===     http://www.vtr.org