Re: Spitfire Ignition Problems

To: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Subject: Re: Spitfire Ignition Problems
From: Roger Elliott <elliottr@rmi.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 21:29:56 -0500
Good questions.

I just checked the plug wire resistance.  On two sets the resistance is
in 7 k ohms range. The third set is in the 650 ohms range.  Which should
be right?

> How far will the spark jump?  If it can jump 3/4" or
> so, the ignition circuit is probably OK.

The coil spark will probably jump 3/4"  the spark plug wires have
trouble jumping the gap in the spark plug - probably less than 1/8" when
holding the wire to the block.
> Does starting fluid help at all?  any evidenceof flooding?
I tried using starter fluid - not much difference.  It really doesn't
sound like it is trying to fire at all.  No evidence of flooding.  There
is fuel in the fuel bowls and visible in the jets.
> Are you sure the plug wires are not
> connected to the wrong plugs?
I have checked the firing order two or three times.  1-3-4-2

> Is the rotor pointing
> to the correct plug wire at the correct time?
> Did you possibly remove the distributor drive gear and
> put it back wrong?

I lined the rotor up with the number one plug wire in the distributor
when the whistle I used indicated tdc on number one.  I did have the
distributor off, but the rotor is turning at the proper speed when I
turned the engine over by hand.  Two turns of the crank to one turn of
the distributor.
> Doug Braun
> '72 Spit
> replies!