GT6 Pistons

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: GT6 Pistons
From: "David" <popeye444@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 22:53:51 -0600
Hi All,

I'm new to the list, I've been lurking here for about a week.  Actually I
was a member about 5 years ago when I lived in Hawaii.  Alas, I had to sell
all 3 of my Spits when I came back to the mainland.  Now I live in
Washington State and recently purchased a 1967 GT6 restoration project that
has been sitting for about 10 years and a 1969 Spitfire that just barely
runs for fun around town.  The first thing I did after getting the cars was
to join this list again, you guys/gals really are an incredible resource.  I
just put up a simple webpage with a few pics if your interested
(http://home.comcast.net/~popeye444/index.htm).  I got great deals (I think
anyway) on both, details if your interested.

Anyway, my question.  I broke down the engine in the GT6 due to only about
20 - 60 PSI in all cylinders, even with oil in the spark plug hole.  When I
got it apart the valves were in good shape but some gunk on them keeping
them from sealing.  No problem there, the head is in the machine shop now
getting the once over.  The problem is in the rings.  All the rings except 2
were broken.  This seems a little strange to me to have almost all of them
bad.  Cylinder number 1 had a burn through with a very light cooresponding
scar on the cylinder wall.  Looks like I'll have to have the cylinders bored
one size bigger because of that.  All the other cylinders are nice and
smooth.

So I guess I have 2 questions.
1.  Is there some underlying reason for having so many rings go bad.  I
would think there would be a noticable loss of power as they started going
one at a time.  I would expect them to stop driving it long before so many
failed.  Instead is seems like they might have all gone at once.  I just
don't want to rebuild this engine just to discover it has some serious issue
after I've put a bunch of money into it.  Am I worried for nothing?

2.  Does anyone know of a source to buy just a single piston?  I only have
one that's bad.  Is it a problem to replace only 1?  Maybe that's why they
only seem to sell entire sets everywhere. Anyone have a good used piston for
a GT6 they would be willing to sell?  Are Spitfire pistons the same as the
GT6?  There are a couple parts cars around here I might be able to pick up
and rob a piston from. (sorry that's more than 2 questions, my brain got to
working overtime).  Bottom line is that I'd rather not add several hundered
extra dollars to the engine rebuild by buying a hole new piston set if I
don't have to.  Is this a false economy to put in a used one?  Any thoughts?

Thanks!  And I'm happy as a clam to be back in the Spitfire world.

David Gates
Shelton Washington
1967 GT6 Comm# KC5188L, Engine# KC5598E
1969 Spitfire Comm# FDU47651L

P.S.  I think I might still have my Spitlist window sticker someplace.  I'll
have to drag it out and put it on the driver.

===     http://www.vtr.org