Re: Gearbox leak

To: Kevin Rhodes <krhodes1@maine.rr.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Gearbox leak
From: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 06:03:00 -0700 (PDT)
My '72 3-rail box had a similar problem.  The fix was
to replace the O-ring seals where the actuating
rod passes through the front and back of the top
cover.

I had to remove the square-head set screw that
attaches
the shifting "dongle" thing to the shaft, and then
slide the shaft out of the cover.  (Use a proper
8-point socket to remove this set-screw!)

I am not really familiar with the newer single-rail
gearbox, but I bet it has similar seals. I
had no trouble getting the O-rings from Spitbits
or TRF (I forget which).

===     http://www.vtr.org