Different Intake Valve sizes between years on a head for a

To: <nass@yahoogroups.com>, <spitfire-enthusiast@yahoogroups.com>,
Subject: Different Intake Valve sizes between years on a head for a
From: "Nick Moseley" <nmoseley@dccnet.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 20:41:46 -0800
Sorry for the cross-post.

I took a head in to be rebuilt, per the suggestion of many listers answering
an earlier question. (OK, this is your chance, get your digs in. yes indeed,
my head DID need to be examined).

The shop doing the work has asked what year it's from, as the intake valves
are larger than normal.

I know the engine is from a 76, as engine number is FM59xxx. Don't know
about the head, as the shop has it, and I can't see the serial number from
here (!).

Question is, were there any years of heads that would fit easily on a 1500
block, that would have different (larger) intake valves?

I suspect if the valves are larger, that this may mean the head has been
worked on before, and that a former owner installed larger intake valves.
Correct or no?

Many thanks for your insights

Nick Moseley

Vancouver B.C.