Re: [Spits] Car Covers

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Spits] Car Covers
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@rcn.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 22:41:47 -0400
On 15 Sep 2007 at 15:24, Matthew Milkevitch wrote:

> Has anyone has better success with a car
> cover?  If so, what brand did you purchase?

When I bought my GT6 some years ago I had to move the Spitfire out
the garage and "store" it in the driveway.  So I bought a cover from
California Car Cover, their spiffy ultra-high-tech super-fabric.  It
was listed as waterproof but porous, and blocked UV.  Even better,
when I called to ask the guy on the phone said it would fold up and
fit in a shoebox.  It turned out to be everything they said it would
be.  It kept the car dry and clean.  It fit both the Spitfire and GT6
even though I chose one spec'ed for the GT6.  It lasted four or five
years too.  Eventually it succumbed to UV so I replaced it with a
cover from TRF.  That one, made by Covercraft or something similar,
has been a disappointment.  It is thick and bulky, doesn't seem to
keep out either dust or water, collects water inside the folds at the
bottom (which would seem to encourage rust), and doesn't fit very
well.  It builds up static charge so readily that I grew leary of
putting it on or off the car.  I've had it maybe two years, but for
the last six months it has been sitting in a folded heap at the head
of the driveway.  If the car is going to get wet anyway I'd rather
let the rain roll off and evaporate than be collected into an
artificial puddle right underneath each bumper.  Maybe I'll clean it
and put it back on the car for the winter.  But I intend to replace
it soon with another high-tech one from California Car Cover, either
this winter or next spring.

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller@rcn.com