Re: [Spits] 78 Spit

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spits] 78 Spit
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@rcn.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 19:16:45 -0400
On 15 Mar 2010 at 18:35, Art wrote:

> my first accessory was a blonde named Kathy.  The car is
> long since gone but I still have Kathy. I am not mechanically astute,

Yes, but how mechanically astute is Kathy??

> I live in south Florida and have seen an ad for a white '78 Spit
> priced at a negotiable $3300.  My questions are: what do I look
> for, and what's it worth?

That sounds like a reasonable price for a decent car.

What to look for?  First question, it is beautiful, a daily driver,
or a klunker?  That dictates what you will need to "fix" or improve.
If you're buying it because it looks gorgeous but it has a ratty
seats or a rust hole in a rocker, then the good looks are superficial
and incomplete.  Ratty seats in a car you intend to drive rather than
show aren't so bad, and are replaceable or repairable.

Check for rust in the rocker panels, the panels behind the front
wheels, the floors, and the rear fenders.  Check the solidity of
where the rear trailing arms attach to the frame.  If you can see the
frame, look for any rust spots.  Some things can be fixed or replaced
but may cost money.  Are the seams between cowl and bonnet even and
straight or has the bonnet frame been sprung?

Does the gearbox shift smoothly, especially when warm?  Is paint
missing under the clutch and brake master cylinders?  This would
indicate leaks where brake fluif has trashed the paint, not a fatal
flaw but something you'd want to clean up and repaint.  Check under
the battery for rust.  Does the engine start up easily and run
strong?  Does it blow blue or white smoke?  If it has overdrive, does
it engage and disengage promptly?

Suspension issues are trickier.  Service records or a reasonable
sense that the owner lubricated the front would be nice.  Grab each
front wheel at the top and try to shake it in and out.  If you feel
play it may need new ball joints or a bearing adjustment.  Grab each
wheel at front and rear edge and try to twist it in and out.  If you
feel play it may need new tie rod ends.  These aren't unfixable but
you'll need Kathy's mechanical astuteness.  Check the tires for
microcracks in the rubber surfaces.

Check the handbrake, not for how well it holds but for how rusted and
stuck in place it may be.  See the brake pedal feels springy or
reasonably taut.  Try the clutch too.

Anyone else got a thought?
--
Jim Muller