Re: [Spits] 78 Spit

To: North Bay British Car Club <nobbc@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spits] 78 Spit
From: Robert Rutherford <rrutherf@ucalgary.ca>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 20:02:50 -0700
Check fore and aft movement of crank at crankshaft pulley using a significant
lever. Alternately with handbrake on, engage clutch in first gear, stop engine
to observe crankshaft pulley to engine block gap. Restart engine and select
engage clutch in reverse, stop engine and observe crankshaft pulley to engine
block gap. If more than a barely perceptible amount then the thrustwasher(s)at
rear may have dropped into the oil pan. If missing the gap will change by
about 1/8th inch. Could be big bucks.

Robert Rutherford

78 Spit
76 Spit
Engine with dropped thrust washer - crankshaft had started milling its way
through the block.

http://www.windowslive.com/campaign/thenewbusy?ocid=PID27925::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL