Re: [Spits] (no subject)

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spits] (no subject)
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@rcn.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2010 20:44:31 -0400
On 8 Jun 2010 at 19:07, Charles Reid wrote:

> I haven't seen any messages yet, but I thought I might introduce
> myself.

Welcome to the club!  Many of us post to triumphs@autox.team.net
instead of Spitfires when the subject isn't spitfire-specific.
Sometime we post to both.

> I noticed that the rear shocks seem a tad short...
> The instruction say that the car must be supported by the
> tires in order to replace the rear shocks.  With the car
> suspended, and the wheels hanging unsupported, it looks like
> the weight of the half shaft, hub, brakes, wheel and tire
> are suspended by the shock.  Is this correct?

Well, if the instructions say so it must be correct, right? ;-)

The combined weight of whee, halfshaft, brake, etc, really isn't so
much.  When the car is sitting on the wheels it won't be pulling on
the shock sat all, of course.  The difficult with those instructions
is that if you support the car in the wheels you first have to
install the wheel, and then you can't get to the shock mount!  So if
the car is on jackstands you just prop up or jack up the suspension
components enough to let you get the shock on.  It really doesn't
take much force.

Just curious, what part of the country are you in?  You don't have to
answer if you'd rather not.

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller@rcn.com