Re: [Spits] (no subject)

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spits] (no subject)
From: Charles Reid <mapper55@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 21:42:59 -0400
Jim,

Thanks for the reply.  I'm in Richmond VA.

Charles Reid
1980 Triumph Spitfire

> From: jimmuller@rcn.com
> To: spitfires@autox.team.net
> Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 20:44:31 -0400
> Subject: Re: [Spits] (no subject)
>
> On 8 Jun 2010 at 19:07, Charles Reid wrote:
>
> > I haven't seen any messages yet, but I thought I might introduce
> > myself.
>
> Welcome to the club!  Many of us post to triumphs@autox.team.net
> instead of Spitfires when the subject isn't spitfire-specific.
> Sometime we post to both.
>

> > I noticed that the rear shocks seem a tad short...
> > The instruction say that the car must be supported by the
> > tires in order to replace the rear shocks.  With the car
> > suspended, and the wheels hanging unsupported, it looks like
> > the weight of the half shaft, hub, brakes, wheel and tire
> > are suspended by the shock.  Is this correct?
>
> Well, if the instructions say so it must be correct, right? ;-)
>
> The combined weight of whee, halfshaft, brake, etc, really isn't so
> much.  When the car is sitting on the wheels it won't be pulling on
> the shock sat all, of course.  The difficult with those instructions
> is that if you support the car in the wheels you first have to
> install the wheel, and then you can't get to the shock mount!  So if
> the car is on jackstands you just prop up or jack up the suspension
> components enough to let you get the shock on.  It really doesn't
> take much force.
>
> Just curious, what part of the country are you in?  You don't have to
> answer if you'd rather not.
>
> --
> Jim Muller
> jimmuller@rcn.com
> '80 Spitfire, '70 GT6+
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spitfires/mapper55@hotmail.com

Hotmail.
http://www.windowslive.com/campaign/thenewbusy?tile=multicalendar&ocid=PID283
26::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:WM_HMP:042010_5

Spitfires@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $11.47
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive